Friday, January 15, 2010

Finding Time


    A 6x8 oil painting in progress on the easel in my small studio

I posted this to show the type of small paintings I find time to do.

Completing a painting like this involves a fairly simple setup. Once my Box M palette is ready to go with paint, brushes, towels, turp, and the like, I grab a few interesting objects which I try to keep a good supply of around the studio, and arrange them to my satisfaction. Maybe even a piece of fruit or a veggie, as I used here. Then, I start swinging the brushes.

The Box M setup, shown in the above photo, is easy to use and when not in use, it fits comfortably in the refrigerator - keeping all my paints wet for days and even weeks, if I get busy with other things. I clean the main surface of the pallette at the end of each session, leaving the main piles of paint, and can even tuck the smaller paintings right inside the palette. The ability to store oils paints and paintings in a cold storage unit, such as a refrigerator is invaluable to those of us who like the paint wet. This will maintain an "alla prima", or done all at once, look even if the "all at once" is spread out over several days or a week.

I use only a few brushes, to limit my fussing with too many, and a fairly limited color palette. A painting this size, 6x8, can take anywhere from an hour to several one or two-hour sessions.

6 comments:

  1. a beautiful painting from your Open M box! Hope to see many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste, I have many more planned. Thank you for the kind comment. The Box M has been a good friend for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear how you fit time for art in. For years I just had to put it away. I'm at a new place now and able to work every day,which is amazing. I look forward to seeing more of your work as you can show it.

    It was interesting to have you talk about how you keep your paints and canvases wet between sessions. No complaints from your wife???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, no she is great about supporting me. My Box M has a permanently assigned spot in the fridge. Fits nicely under the middle crisper :)

    I put my art away for a while too, but realized that even if its a struggle, I need to do it consistently or something is missing.

    Good luck with your art and come back anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever you do... don't put it away again! Put it to one side maybe, but keep coming back frequently! Otherwise, before you know it, a whole decade has passed you by without a paintbrush in your hands! Small is powerful! And this is beautiful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, thanks and that sounds like good advice! I intend to stick with it and make it work. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete